War Memorials Honoring Crachesi

 

 

 

 

These postcards show the War Memorial Monument (Il Monumento ai Caduti) as it once stood proudly  in Craco Vecchio.  The buildings shown in the background were inhabited by the following families, in the period just before the frana; from right to left: Giuseppe Iannuzziello, Antonio LoPorchio, Francesco Vitelli, Vincenzo Rinaldi, Antonio Grossi, Giuseppina Parziale, Francesco Gallotti (this home was formerly the church of San Giovanni), and Giuseppe Pucci. There was also a very small laneway that led from this area to the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II.  The history of Craco,  Note Storiche Sul Comune di Craco, mentions the following about the monument:

 

      About the “civil” monument there is little to write.  The War Memorial, in Craco Vecchio, was inaugurated  in  1932 with great ceremony. Today, the new monument stands in Craco Peschiera in the green of a beautiful garden.

 

Italy’s Armistice Day is celebrated on November 4th to commemorate the armistice signed with Austria at Villa Giusti to end WWI warfare on the Italian front.  In Craco, the priest would celebrate a special mass to remember Cracotans who had lost their life in WWI or WWII,  followed by a remembrance ceremony at the monument led by Colonel Rinaldi.  The monument commemorates Cracotans who died in WWI, including both those in the Italian & US armed forces.

 

 

 

 

          

 

    To view a short video clip of the War Memorial from Craco Vecchio,       

circa 1929, click here or on the image to the left.  This scene is from a

home movie that was a kind gift to the Society from Peter Benedetto.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Map (from 1939) showing the relationship of the war memorial monument to other important landmarks in the      town.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The new War Memorial Monument, now located in Craco Peschiera, seen at the left.  On the right, is the inscription honoring those who perished in WWI.

 

 

 

 

 

     

 

 

Even in America, those who made the ultimate sacrifice are honored.  This plaque remains to this day, mounted outside of the Church of the Transfiguration on Mott St., in New York City.  

 

 

Click here to return to the History Page